Winners of the 5th edition of the Platinum Megawatts Media Competition Announced
- On 25 April, awards were presented in the fifth edition of the Platinum Megawatts Media Competition. The double winner is Wojciech Jakóbik, editor-in-chief of BiznesAlert.pl portal.
- Awards for the best publications went to Bartłomiej Derski and Magdalena Skłodowska, journalists of the WysokieNapiecie.pl portal.
- This year, the Competition Jury also awarded a special distinction to Teresa Wójcik, recognizing the entirety of her journalistic work.
- The Honorary Patronage over the competition was extended by the Minister of Energy and the President of Energy Regulatory Office.
‘The media revolution, which is also based on advanced technologies, has given almost every one of us the tools of new media to communicate with everyone and on every subject. One can say that information is often passed on so quickly and in such an overloaded fashion that it is no longer verified or analysed in terms of its content. If our awareness of a specific topic is not supposed to be limited to a short tweet, catchy headline, picture or slogan, a professional JOURNALIST is still indispensable as the person who with her substantive knowledge, credibility and industry expertise will explain even the most complex processes to the public. Only then can we understand, draw conclusions and formulate an opinion’ said Krzysztof Tchórzewski, Minister of Energy.
This year’s edition of the Competition turned out to be a record-breaking one in terms of the number of entries, the number of journalists, as well as media diversity. Among the 58 entries there were not only national but also regional media, which shows that the Competition is becoming more and more popular. In addition to this year’s edition of “Platinum Megawatts” for the first time in the history of the Competition, TV materials from national and regional stations were submitted.
The Competition Jury, chaired by Joanna Borecka-Hajduk from the Ministry of Energy, evaluated the submitted works from the point of view of their informative value, journalistic and educational merits and clarity of expression. The winners of the fifth edition of the ‘Platinum Megawatts’ Media Competition are:
- Wojciech Jakóbik, editor-in-chief of BiznesAlert.pl portal, received not only the title of Journalist of the Year 2018 but also a Honourable Mention or the best publication on the gas market in 2018.
- Bartłomiej Derski from the editorial office of WysokieNapiecie.pl, who received an Honourable Mention for the best press material on the electricity market in 2018.
- Magdalena Skłodowska from the editorial team of WysokieNapiecie.pl, who received an Honourable Mention for the best publication on the certificates market in the Year 2018.
- Teresa Wójcik associated with Tygodnik Solidarność and the editorial team of BiznesAlert.pl received a Special Mention of the Competition Jury for reliability, professionalism and the entirety of her journalistic achievements.
‘To explain complex processes associated with the energy transformation in a clear and simple language is not a trivial task. This means that we appreciate even more the work of journalist who inform daily their readers, viewers and listeners how a competitive market for energy should look like, and share the vision for the future of the energy industry by introducing major global trends to the general public. The Polish Wind Energy Association has been supporting initiatives aimed at education for many years and therefore we strongly identify with the idea of this competition. As a partner of this year's edition, on behalf of our Association, I would like to congratulate the participants on the high quality of their work, and all the winners’ said Janusz Gajowiecki, President of the Polish Wind Energy Association.
The Jury of this edition of the Competition was composed of representatives of institutions that set the directions for the development of the energy sector: TAURON Polska Energia (strategic partner), GAZ-SYSTEM S.A., Polskie Sieci Elektroenergetyczne S.A., PGNiG Polskie Górnictwo Naftowe i Gazownictwo S.A., the Commodity Clearing House (IRGiT) and the Polish Wind Energy Association. The Honorary Patrons of competition were the Minister of Energy and the President of Energy Regulatory Office.
'The energy market, in its broad sense, is undergoing constant changes that we have seen in the past year. Journalists follow them closely, interpret them and translate them into a language that the reader understands. We can wonder whether journalism is still objective and RELIABLE but certainly all of us in the energy sector should be committed to working with the media to ensure that the information provided is reliable, and to promoting the role of the media in raising public awareness' says Piotr Zawistowski, President of the Management Board of TGE.
Over the years, the Platinum Megawatts Competition, initiated by TGE in 2014, has gained great popularity and enjoys recognition among both the media and the industry. For the last five years TGE and its Partners have been presenting Platinum Megawatts to journalists who provide reliable information to the public on electricity, natural gas and property rights markets (certificates). The competition is the culmination of their year-round work, and is also a motivation to continue their commitment to the popularization of complex energy issues.